Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What to do when you are presented with other choices

Yesterday I enjoyed my lunch date with my loving husband of 27 years and we dined at the Cracker Barrell. I was able to resist the oh-so-tempting biscuits with blackberry preserves but when it came to "sticking to my plan" I got off course a wee bit.

My original plan was to order the grilled chicken with green beans and pinto beans but I forgot about the "Monday lunch Special". What is the "Monday lunch Special" you say? It is a delicious piece of baked chicken with dressing and another side of your choice for $6.99
As soon as I saw it advertised on the blackboard (chalkboard) I knew it was calling my name. "Kathy". "Kathy". The server came to our table and I ordered the .... "Monday lunch Special", please. As I said those words I thought to myself, "Did I just blow it?".

The wait for our food seemed endless. As I sat and waited for the "Other Choice" to arrive I wondered what I was going to eat the rest of the day to stay within my designated 1400 calorie plan. I had asked my husband to prepare a pot roast that I had purchased over the weekend and what normally goes along with that but mashed potatoes, carrots, etc

Our lunch arrived and to my pleasant surprise the "Monday lunch Special" looked very appetizing and within my portion controlled size. The chicken breast although still on the bone was very small, maybe 4-5 ounces, and it was skinless! That excited me the most because usually when you order baked chicken the restaurant leaves the skin on and when you undress the chicken (pull off the skin) your left with a very dry piece of meat. But Cracker Barrel knows how to bake a tasty chicken! I enjoyed every morsel. The dressing was really about a half cut of stove top stuffing with at least a 1/4 cup of celery that could have been cut into smaller pieces, but it did not matter to me because I just picked it out any way. The green beans were tender and completed my meal. The biscuit with blackberry preserves was a temptation, I won't lie. But it just did not seem worth it to me.

When I got home my wonderful husband had prepared a pot roast with carrots and potatoes. I added corn and green beans and enjoyed.a very hearty dinner. At the end of the day I was proud of my choices and stayed under my 1400 calorie goal.
If I can do it, anybody can!

No comments: