Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weekend In The Great Smokey Mountains


The view from the Pigeon Forge - Gatlinburg, TN Mountain By-Pass
Last weekend my husband and I finally got to take a few days away and escaped to the Great Smokey Mountains and Pigeon Forge, TN.  With great anticipation we packed our bags, dropped off our puppies at the groomers for boarding and picked up my parents to begin our three day weekend.  Our number one goal for the weekend was to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and to get some much needed rest and relaxation.

This weekend trip was long overdue and we had no expectations but very high hopes of having the time of our lives!
The weather had turned off cooler than normal and we were lucky to have grabbed our heavier jackets.  On the four hour drive into the mountains we enjoyed the beautiful fall foilage.  When we arrived at our condo in Pigeon Forge, TN we were pleasantly surprised to find a cozy double fire place
in the family room and spacious accommodations including a fully equipped kitchen and dining room. 

We enjoyed two fantastic shows, some really good deals in the shopping category and let's not forget the yummy food.  My favorite meal was at my all time favorite restaurant on the outskirts of Pigeon Forge in it's sister city, Sevierville, TN.  All the locals and visitors alike know and love this family owned restaurant where they serve up everything homemade, like apple fritters, apple butter, and so many other favorites.  What is the name of this place with all the fancy fixin's you ask?  The Apple Barn Farmhouse.  I enjoyed two piping hot apple fritters with smooth apple butter, a cup of vegetable soup, grilled pork loin, a few spoons of creamy potatoes, and green beans.  I did my best to count those calories, but to be quite honest it was a little hard because my favorite weight loss tool had no  listing for the apple fritters.  To try to describe them would be hard but just know they are about the same size as a Dunkin Donuts donut hole and simply melt in your mouth.

Me and my hubby at the famous
Apple Barn Farmhouse Restaurant
Resturant


It was nice to have the long break to relax and enjoy some good quality time with my husband and the best news was that when I got home and weighed the next morning I had not gained any weight from enjoying those two apple fritters!

I guess what I took away from the weekend more than anything was that I could have a great time, and enjoy foods that I love without over doing it. I am learning on my journey to a new me it is not necessarily what I eat but how much I eat that can cause me the most problems.  Because you know at the Apple Barn they just keep bringing them apple fritters out by the basket full and in my old days I would have happily kept emptying that basket into my belly.   But two were enough for me and I did not feel deprived in the least.  We are looking forward to our next trip and who knows maybe it will be sooner than you think.


Dinner at the Texas Roadhouse in Pigeon Forge, TN

No comments: