Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 23, 2012

Waffle House Revisited

I have a confession to make.  I still love to eat at Waffle House!  The second blog post that I ever wrote was about my Waffle House meal choice.  (see blog post from Jan. 23, 2011)  And I gave the run down of just how many calories a basic breakfast of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, and buttered toast totals 770 calories!

Way back then I chose to make a few "modifications" and was able to cut my calories to 462calories.  It was on a recent visit to Waffle House for dinner that I made a few more adjustments to have a healthy meal that included some protein.

This is how I ordered my delicious Waffle House dinner:
Two eggs scrambled, hold the yolk on one, add one slice of cheese and use spray instead of oil
Sliced tomatoes instead of hashbrowns, One 6 ounce grilled chicken breast and two slices of dry  raisin toast.  They brought out the apple butter and strawberry jelly but I declined to use either one.

Here's how the calories added up on the above meal.  The large egg was 70 calories, the egg white was 17.  I purposely ordered one piece of cheese because at the WH if you say "Two eggs scrambled with cheese you get two slices of cheese".  So the cheese added another 70 calories.  The 6 ounces of grilled chicken added 165 calories.  Sliced tomatoes for 35 calories and the big splurge was two slices of dry raisin toast for 142 calories.  I ate my fill and left completely satisfied.  And for those of you wondering what the grand total was....  499 calories!  I was completely amazed that I could add a nice piece of chicken to my meal and still come under 500 calories. 


I am a believer that you don't have to starve yourself to get healthy and to lose weight.  There are good choices out there even at the restaurants that normally get a bad rap.  Now don't get me wrong, if I was a person who had no weight issues, I certainly would not have a problem ordering up a "All Star breakfast" complete with eggs, bacon, waffles and all the fixin's but with it would come all the calories!  945 to be exact!  So for now, I will continue to stay on my journey to a new me and order the right foods for me when I slide into the booth at my local Waffle House!

No comments: