Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Get Confused By Reading The Package

Some of us can get confused very easily and some of us live in a state of confusion.  But some times I think that the makers of the food that we consume that is in a "package" are the ones really  responsible for most of the confusion.  Have you ever noticed that the package states one thing but the nutritional guide states something entirely different?

When buying any food item that is pre-packaged you must first read the label.  Every food in our grocery store today  has a nutritional label for our benefit.  Just because an item may show "Light" or "Low Fat" On the outside of the package does not make it so.  But there is one even trickier, when looking at peanut butter recently I saw 1/3 fewer calories than our regular brand.  What does this mean?  I then took a closer look and discovered that the "regular" version had
momre calories than their competition. So why are the manufacturers going to this length to get us to buy their product versus their competition? Well that is the million dollar question.

I believe on my journey to a new me that I have become more aware than ever about what I am putting into my body as food. In the years past when I would begin a diet the trips to the grocery store always resulted in the same type of food items thrown into my shopping cart.
"Low Fat" Mayonnaise, "Reduced Fat" Peanut Butter, the lowest calorie count on my margarine that I could find, the "Light" sandwich bread, and the list goes on and on.

What I failed to realize is that when the manufacturer advertises "low fat, reduced fat, lower calorie, etc" they had to substitute something in it's place and usually it is added sugar or other artificial ingredients to make it taste more like the regular version.

So next time you are tempted to grab the "lower fat" or "light" version of your favorite food item take an extra minute to check that label. You may be surprised at what you find on there! You may better off just enjoying a smaller amount of the real thing!

No comments: