Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Just When I Thought I Had It All Figured Out...

Just when I thought I had it all figured out I learned that I had a few more things to learn.  One week ago today I met someone that has absolutely changed my life for the bettter.  She is a person that I would probably have never met on my own but my husband had done some artwork for her recently.  It was during one of their meetings that he told her about my successful weight loss of 101 pounds.  When she asked him how I had accomplished it he explained that I only ate 1400 calories per day.  She wanted to know how long had I been doing this in order to lose the 101 pounds.  He told her that I had lost it during one year time period but that this year, the past seven months, that I  have not really been able to lose any weight.  He told her about my yo-yo of gaining 2 pounds, down 1 pound.  Losing 1 pound, up 3 pounds, down 1 pound, to the point that I was now up at least 7 pounds for the year. 

She thought about it for a few minutes and then asked him a few questions.  "Does she exercise?"  He told her "Yes, she  works out on an eliptical or walks on a treadmill every day.  She then asked "What kind of food is she eating to get her 1400 calories"?  He replied "She basically eats anything that she wants but she is careful not to go over the 1400 goal".  And her next comment was "I would bet that her problem is not a calorie issue but a nutritional concern.  How much protein is she eating of the 1400 calories?"  and he replied honestly that he did not know.

That evening my husband spoke to me about his conversation and my first response was not positive.  I asked him why he was having a discussion with this person, a complete stranger to me,  about my struggles with weight and the seeming plateau of sorts that I had been stuck on for this past seven months on my journey to a new me.  He said that she owns her own company here in our hometown, BE FIT, and she is a nutritionist and trainer.  This both intrigued me and scared me at the same time. 

It intrigued me because here was this person who did not even know me but had an idea as to why my system of losing weight seemed to no longer work for me, and it scared me because I had a bad feeling that she was going to try to talk me into doing a Low Carb / No Carb, South Beach, or Atkins type diet and have me eat all protein and meat and no carbs.  I knew from past experience that these were not viable options for me because none of them had ever worked.  I did not want to go down that path on my journey to a new me.  Like I have stated many times before, "If it feels like a diet, I won't do it"!

That evening I could hardly sleep.  I tossed and turned all night long thinking about my husbands conversation with this perfect stranger and my reponses and feelings about what she had to say.  The next day my husband did something that I did not expect. He said, "If she calls you to talk to you about some of your struggles would you talk to her?"  In my mind I thought, "Are you crazy"!!!  "There is no way that I am going to discuss my most personal feelings and struggles with this person, your client, who I know nothing about. No that is not something that I am the least bit interested in doing or want to do"  But  instead I heard the following reply come from my very own mouth, " Well I guess that would be alright." 

Later that afternoon while busy at work my cell phone rang and it was the mystery nutritionist.  To be quite honest, I was not ready to speak to her. I had analyzed and over-analyzed everything that I thought that she was going to say to me.   I was still scared about what she had to say.  So  I told her that I was at work and that I would need to call her back.  She was okay with this and later that afternoon while on my drive home I made myself call her.  Just like we all do when we have to return those phone calls that we know are going to be painful.  You know, the calls that you put off until you  have no other choice but to return them.  I hit redial and waited as the phone rang a couple of times and she answered with a cheerful "Hello".

There is alot more to this story but you will have to check in tomorrow to hear the next part.
I promise you don't want to miss it!

No comments: