Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Learning A Lesson In Nutrition 101

This blog post is a continuation of my previous two blog post.  If you did not read the last two blog post:  "Meeting With The Mystery Nutritionist" and "Just When I Thought I Had It Figured Out..."
please stop reading this blog entry and catch yourself up.  I will pick up the story where I last left off.

As she began reviewing my food entries I saw her eyes widen and her smile fade. Remember the paperwork that she had asked me to read when I first got there? The paperwork that had so much information that I had to read and re-read many paragraphs multiple times because the music was too loud to concentrate? Well this is when the pop-test began...

She remarked that she could see that I was keeping up with my food entries pretty good and that I was easily staying within my 1400 calories that I had set for myself daily.  But the next thing out of her mouth was:  "Where is the protein?"  I did not know how to react to that questions so I did what any good defensive end would do and gave her the excuse, "I don't like to eat too much meat. It's not that I am a vegetarian or anything but meat is just not that important to me."  She commented that protein can be obtained through many ways other than meat, and without missing a beat, she got me with her left hook.  She said "Would you look at that sodium?"  That is more than double what you should be getting on a daily basis!"  What was she talking about?  It was my turn to just sit there and look back at her blankly.

You see she was no longer looking at my food entries she had punched into a section of myfitnesspal.com that I had never seen before.  The Nutritional Content and Breakdown of every food that I was putting into my mouth!  And in the words of Ricky Ricardo from the old '50's television show, I Love Lucy, I heard in my head "Lucy you got some explainin' to do!" 
I don't know why I never looked at the Nutritional Content and Breakdown, but shouldn't I have known that the mystery nutritionist would be all into that part of myfitnesspal.com

Instead of being shocked or upset with me she began to explain the finer details of what she was able to see in my food log.  Every item that I was recording into my food log had a full breakdown of the calories but also of the protein, fat, carbohydrates, sodium and yes sugar.

I guess I was still living in the world of "My doctor said that as long as I only eat 1400 calories per day that I will lose weight".  and when I said this to her she made the statement, "Yes, he was right that would be a very helpful tool to help you lose weight but after a while your body knows that it is only going to get 1400 calories so it will not lose any more weight.  It becomes comfortable with this amount of calories every day and learns to live with it basically."  She said "Did you read the paperwork that I gave you earlier?  There are some important things that you need to consider."

Well yes, I had attempted to read the important information but between my nerves and the very fit trapeze artist hanging upside down from their red silk fabric and the loud music, I had not really digested much of the information.  She was so patient with me and began to go over the facts about the Be Fit Program and what it is and what it can do.  Let me share some of this with you now.  With her permission I would like to take a few excerps from her program.

   "I will teach you how to eat for optimal health.  Going back to the basics:  "If God made it, eat it" and "If man made it, keep it to a minimum!"  When food gets altered in any way then the food becomes processed.  Processed foods typically have less fiber and more sodium."

(We discussed that I had double the amount of sodium than I should have, as what was being reported on my food journal.  She felt like it may be due in part to the number of meals that I "eat out",  and she remarked that there are always more preservatives and sodium in restaurant foods than what I would be able to prepare myself at home)

    "I feel in order to be successful in your healthy way of living you need to learn what foods such as protein, carbohydrates and fats do for the health of your body.  Also the importance of watching your sodium and sugar intake needs to be a focus."

(Now comes the part that you may have to do like I did and read it more than once just so you know that you understand it.)

    " Your muscles are the metabolic furnance of your body." 
(Let me say that one again: " Your muscles are the metabolic furnance of your body." 
The health of your muscles determines your ability to win the battle of the bulge.   Weight control is not about body fat, it's about helping your muscles do the work for you."

(During our conversation she stated that she was not just talking about the muscles in my arms and legs that everyone can see, but my internal organs that are muslces, like the heart.)

     "Your muscles determine everything about your body, weight, including how many calories your eat, what foods you need and ultimately how healthy you are.  Many popular diet programs teach you to focus on the negative thoughts about body fat.  Instead, invest your time and emotional energy in positive thoughts about keeping your muscles healthy.  The Be-Fit program focuses on a macro-balance protein and carbohydrates in the proper ratios in order to reset and recharge your metabolism, keeping your muscles healthy and your body lean."

    "The concept of macro-balance is about eating the right proportions of high-quality proteins, smart carbohydrates and heart friendly fats.  Getting these portions correctly balanced will forever stabilize your blood sugar, reduce typical energy crashes, eliminate cravings and halt hunger pangs.  Building macro-balance into your meals with change the composition of your body and melt away the unwanted fat.  You will look and feel better than ever!"

    "The word "macro" comes from macronutrient which is defined as a Whole Food.  The word micronutrient is the small things you take in such as vitamins and minerals.  You can take all the vitamins and suppliments you want but if your macronutrients are not balanced, your body cannot absorb the vitamins sufficiently."

I know that this is alot to absorb in one blog post so I will close for now, but the next post will give further details regarding the Protein and Carbohydrate portion of the Be Fit Program.  Don't miss my next blog post. 






 

1 comment:

Dorris said...

Here you go leaving us hanging three times in a row. Very interesting.