Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2012

What Does Protein Have To Do With Anything?

This blog post is a continuation of my previous three blog post. If you did not read the last three blog post: "A Lesson In Nutrtition 101",  "Meeting With The Mystery Nutritionist" and "Just When I Thought I Had It Figured Out..."  please stop reading this blog entry and catch yourself up. I will pick up the story where I last left off.

As she began to explain in layman's terms what we were reviewing in the paperwork I told her flat out that I was not interested in changing what I was doing to the point of going on an Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet or any other similar diet that would restrict me from being able to eat normal food.  I told her that if I felt like I was on a "Diet" then I would not "Do It".  She said that she understood but that she wanted me to understand the important role that protein has in the weight loss process.

When reviewing my food entries she was not pleased with the 50-60 grams of protein that I was eating on a daily basis.  She said that she wanted me to continue eating the 1400 calories but to "define" where I spent them.  As you know, up til this point I had basically followed my doctor's advice and that was to eat anything that I wanted as long as it was no more than 1400 calories per day.  It felt like she was trying to brain wash me or something.  This was a very foreign concept for me to digest.  Now she is saying for me to stay with the 1400 calories but make sure that at least 105 grams are allocated for protein.  She did other ratios and came up with the following daily goals for my food intake. 

Besides the 105 grams of protein, I needed 140 carbs, 40 grams of fat, and to limit the sodium to 1700 grams.  I was not sure how that I was suppose to keep up with all of this but she assured me that the myfitnesspal.com tool that I was already using had this nutritional information in the tabs and I could see my individual food items and their nutrients as well as an overall total for my daily food log.

Even after all of the explanations I still did not know how that I was going to come up with 105 grams of protein per day.   To me that sounded like a million!  When I voiced this concern to her, she left the room and returned with a frothy chocolate protein drink.  She asked me to try it and even though I had never been one to like those things I thought, "What do I have to lose".   I tipped the glass back and took small sips at first, but once I realized it had a nice taste and texture, I threw back the rest of the glass in a couple of swallows.  I asked her if I could purchase some protein drinks like this at Sams Club or Costco and she said no, this is a special formula with no fillers and very low sugar.  But the best part was that each scoop could be shaken into 8-10 oz. of cold water and it would give me 23 grams of protein!  Whoa that is alot of protein for a small glass of something that tasted like Nestle Quik!  Now you have to remember that I have basically quit eating all sweets and chocolate of any type so this could be a healthy option for my sweet tooth.  And the other component that I wondered about was the calories.  She showed me the nutritional chart and it only had 130 calories .  So I felt like it was worth building in one of those shakes per day.  When I told her yes, I would do one shake a day she shook her head and said no I need you to drink two per day!  Well you know what I did immediately I added up those two protein drinks and saw 260 calories being allocated to my food intake every day, and this would reduce my balance of calories from 1400 to 1140 calories per day.  My mind was trying hard to think about how this could be done and she interrupted my mind racing game and asked me to stand up.

She was as quick as a little squirrel gathering nuts, all 85 pounds of her.  She whipped out her measuring tape and began to go to town!  She measured my neck, then moved to my chest, my waist, my lower stomach, my buttocks, my hips, my thighs, my calves, my upper arms, my arms above the elbow, my wrist, and on and on and on.  I had never seen someone move so fast or get something done so expediently.  Without me realizing it she had written everything onto a log sheet and she was moving across the room.

We walked over to the thing that used to cause me the most fear but now held nothing on me.   Mr. Scale.  except this was not the over-the-counter digital scale that I had sitting in my bathroom.  This was some type of brain scale, I think it said "Iron Man" on it or something.  Any way, I slid my shoes off (isn't that what your supposed to do?) and stepped right up onto Mr. Iron Man.  She knelt down and began "programming" information as she asked me for my age and height.  A few seconds later I saw her start writing down some numbers.   I had no idea what those numbers were, and when I thought we were finished I started to step down and she said "Wait!".   I thought to myself whatever else could this scale possibly be doing except maybe make me another one of those delicious chocolate drinks but then it stopped doing it's thing and the number 50 came up.

I just looked down at that number 50 and wondered what it meant.  We walked back over to the table and sat down and the curiosity was getting the better of me.  So I asked what was all that about and she told me that not only would she be taking my measurements every time that I came (again I thought to myself, when did I say that I was coming back?) she would have me step onto the scale and she would record all my numbers.  I told her the one that probably interested me the most was the last one, the 50.

She asked me if I knew what that was and I told her no I did not.  She said that is the "Age" that the computer thinks that you are based on all the starting information that I input and you current weight and BMI.  Well what about that!  I replied, "Well 50 isn't so bad, I will be 49 on my next birthday in December!"  and she said "Well when I get finished with you we want to see it in the 30's."  Wow that would be great but that seems so far off.   I told her that I wondered what it was when I started my journey to a new me 101 pounds ago and she said that there is no telling but it would be considerably higher.  I know that when I watch the TV show the Biggest Loser the doctor on the show often does this type of weigh-ins and the ages are often twice the age of the contestants.

I left that night with a renewed sense of purpose and made the appointment to come back the next Thursday.  She asked me to continue doing what I had been doing and to remember to get my 105 grams of protein every day. 

The next day I began to wonder if this was really the answer?  What would getting 105 grams of protein do for me?  Would I lose weight?  Would I feel  different?  You'll have to check in tomorrow to hear about my follow up visit and to see if I lost or gained weight and if this was indeed the next path on my journey to a new me!





No comments: