Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pay Attention To The Bump

For the past two or three years when parking in my garage at home I have used a "bump" in the garage to gauge how far I can pull in before stopping and placing the car in park. The "bump"as I have refered to it for several years was actually a bag of mortar that my husband had purchased to tile our laundry room. We had the tile and mortar but no time to get the project done so hence we used the bag as a make-shift wheel chock, you know the things that keep a tire on a truck from rolling.

Any way, last Saturday my husband announced that he was going to take care of the laundry room tile and that I would need to find something else to gauge when I should stop when pulling my car into the garage. This did not sound like such a big deal at the time but the first time that I tried parking my car In the garage without my trusted bag of mortar I realized that I had become dependent on that "bump" to tell me how far I could go and when to stop.

This is also true about my weight gain. There have been so many things that should have served as "bumps" to keep me from going too far but I was not paying attention. When your pants feel too snug, when you begin looking for pants with elastic waistbands, when you no longer want to wear a jacket because it feels tight on your arms and back, and even little parts of your body send up the warning flag. Your rings are tight and your not swelling. Your watch seems tighter than normal and you start looking for the extra link that you had taken out when you bought it because the watch was loose. All of these things are "bumps" that are there to give us warnings that we have strayed off the narrow path of healthy eating, shoot of healthy living. Why do I do this to myself? Don't I remember how hard it is to lose one pound?

From this day forward I am going to fine tune my senses to see and feel the "bumps" along the way. After all they are there to keep me on the right path and to re-direct me when I lose my way. So three cheers for the "bumps" in our lives. Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you "bumps" along my way!

No comments: