Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Find A Buddy And Take A Walk

I have a confession to make. I am the worlds worst when it comes to exercising. I don't really know what it is about it that I don't like, or I don't make the time to do on my journey to a new me. On my husbands birthday (August 11th) I hit my 80 pounds weight loss goal on my way down to 100 pounds in one year, but I can't say that I can really contribute any of my weight loss success to regular, scheduled, or planned exercise.

So here is an account of my latest attempt to exercise. My husband and I met our new neighbors about three weeks ago while taking our trash out to the crib of all things. I know that this is not the most glamorous way to meet someone but we struck up a nice conversation and a friendship was born. On Sunday night we went to dinner and afterwards I found myself inviting her to join me at a park close by to go walk off some of the pizza we had enjoyed for dinner. She gladly accepted and she rode with me the five minutes over to the park.

I had my iPhone with me and decided to set the pedometer to see how far we could walk and the amount of calories that I would burn. Well I am happy to say that 40 minutes later we had walked 2.18 miles and I had burned over 400 calories because we kept up a constant speed of 3.0 mph. We both could not believe how fast the time went by and decided this was something that we both wanted to make time for in our busy lives. We did not set the days and times in "stone" because as sure as you do one or the other person would have a conflict so this will be something that we do randomly but purposefully. My goal is to start out walking three days a week and build from there. It is weird but I can sort of see myself walking, and then building up to jogging. I don't dare say that i see myself running because that would not be a pretty sight, but getting more active for sure is what my future holds. With the 80 pounds off my body I have more energy to do it.

I will keep you posted on my exercise attempts and who knows maybe I will see you on the track getting yourself in shape too!

No comments: