Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Is It All In The "Genes"?


My mom and grandfather on his
92nd Birthday last week!
I have heard this statement or something very similar to it for most of my life. "Well I can't lose weight because of my genes. My momma's side of the family and my daddy's side of the family both gave me "fat" genes and I can't help being like this!"  We have all heard these types of comments when it comes to being overweight, unhealthy and needing to lose a few pounds.   Well I know the statements above are true, because I was one of those people who used this among other things as an excuse to be the size that I was when I started my journey to a new me.


So let's think about it.  Genes are in everyone of us. Every person ever born is made up of genes. Some people have genes that cause them to be more prone to certain diseases and health issues. Some people have a fast metabolism that could be attributed to their genes and they are thinner in body weight. Others are on the other side of the spectrum, like me, and are not just overweight but obese.  So all this talk about genes got me to thinking about where my genes came from, who gave them to me, and what kind did I inherit?

My dad's side of the family has a series of health conditions and illness that range from high blood pressure, hyper tension, heart attacks, diabetes and other ill-effecting health conditions.  My dad has three siblings and they all share in many of the same illnesses.  So where did they get these diseases and health issues?  Some arrived from lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits, but some came from the genes that they were born with.  You see both of their parents had many of these conditions and my father's mother lived many years of her life on oxygen which is not exactly the road that I want to travel.  With both of my father's parents deceased it has me wondering what I can do now to insure that I live a longer and healthier life than they did.

On my mother's side of the family there are various illnesses but there is also longevity.  My maternal grandmother lived to be in her high 80's and my grandfather is still alive today and has just celebrated his 92nd birthday!  So I believe that I have a 50/50 chance of getting some "good genes" when you look at both sides of my family tree.  So what can I do to play up on those "good genes"?   I believe that on December 11, 2010 I took the biggest step in the right direction  toward regaining my life, and living a healthier and longer life when I decided to take my first step on my journey to a new me!  No amount of "good genes" or "bad genes" can take the place of good eating habilts and a healthier overall lifestyle. 
 
So what kind of genes do you have?  Are you still blaming your mama's side of the family or your daddy's side of the family for your weight problem?  Well maybe it is time that you took matters into your own hands and did something about it for yourself.  Start with eating more healthy and getting more active.  I know that is what it took for me, and I believe this is the answer to any bad genes that I may have inherited.


My mom, me and my neice Kalie
at a wedding this past weekend.
I think big smiles run in my family!


No comments: