Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Seeing Things Differently

I am one lucky girl. I have been a lucky person for most of my life. I remember about fifteen years ago being the 98th caller through when my favorite radio station at the time was giving away $1,000.00 to the 98th caller. In case you do not know what I am talking about let me explain.

Many radio stations promote money give-aways to gain more listeners and this one particular radio station had been giving away $98.00 to the 98th caller every week on a specific day when they played the song of the day.  Near the end of the promotion they advertised for a month straight that they were going to have a huge give away. They were going to up the winnings from $98.00 to $1,000.00!!!

It sounded to good to be true.  The deal was you had to listen every day between  8 am and 5 pm the designated song of the day to come on so that we could begin to dial for dolllars.  The song came on and I immediately grabbed my phone and dialed the radio stations number. Of course it was busy, and the next time I called it was busy, and the third, fourth and fifth time I called I had the same results. But something kept telling me to keep trying. Keep picking up that receiver and hit re-dial on my phone and just keep doing it until they came back on the radio to announce that someone had won the money. (I had never done this before but I kind of knew what to expect). When without any warning there was a person on the other end of the line and they said "you are the 94th caller, please try again." and then all I heard was the sound of the dial tone in my ear.   It shocked me so much that I dropped the receiver and just looked at the phone for a minute, them my instincts kicked in and I redialed that numberr and the next words that I heard were "Congratulations! " You are the 98th caller and the winner of the $1,000.00 give away!"  I had no words to say at first, but then I sounded like all the other winners who had won the $98.00 prizes earlier in the contest.  My voice took on a rather high pitch sound because I was so excited I could hardly catch my breath! " Really? Really?  Are you serious?  Am I really the 98th caller?   Is this for real?"  And I remember after I hung up the phone sitting in my office and hearing my recorded telephone call over the rado airwaves.  That was a wild experience and one that I will never forget.  What made it even more real was when we drove down to the radio station the next day to pick up my prize check.  That was unbelievable.

So why I am reflecting on something that happened so long ago?  What does me winning $1,000.00 from a radio station have to do with my journey to a new me?  Well absolutely nothing!!  It is just when I think about my life and all of the things that I have experienced, some things are spectacular and you want to remember them forever, but something happens and time goes by and you sort of forget about it.  Well now that I am on my journey to a new me "I have begun to see things differently.  I wish that I had done something special with some of the winnings that day.  Something that would have made a difference in my life or someone else's life.  I think that I paid bills with it or paid off a credit card or something, but nothing memorable.

That is how I feel about my journey that I am on now.  I see the journey as part of the adventure and and I am not only excited about the final destination, but I am enjoying the scenery along the way.  So, what do you see in your future?  Are there brighter days ahead?  Are you looking forward or reflecting in the rearview mirror.  Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is not here yet.  So live every day to the fullest.  Make memories now that will last a lifetime.  Who knows when you might be the next lucky winner!  With 78.6 pounds down, I feel like a winner already!

No comments: