Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Confession Is Our Road To Healing

"Confession is our road to healing" is a line from an older song that I used to listen to by a contemporary Christian group called dC Talk. The title of the song is "Between you and me" and during a recent interview they stated that the song came about because the members of the group were discussing forgiveness, and not going to bed angry with their respective spouses and this line "Confession is our way to healing" was made.


Today on my drive into work I heard this interview and this song. There were several "nuggets" to take away from the lyrics but this line just kept coming back to me. So I believe that I would like to make a few confessions of my own, to help bring about healing while on my journey to a new me.


Confessions are often looked at as something negative, but if they can bring about healing then I am willing to do that. So what do I need to confess? I would like to start by saying I confess that there are days that I do not stop at my 1400 calories. I know that this is a shocker for many of you, but let me try to explain. There are times that it is nearly impossible to "know" what the actual calorie count of something is, even using my favorite calorie counting tool of all time, www.myfitmesspal.com. Some food items are just not easily found so I have to make my best guess. And you guessed it, this is often not so easy.


Confession number two. When using myfitmesspal.com to look up the calorie count of an item, if there are multiple entries for the same or similar item, you guessed it, I always select the one that has the fewest calories. Now I know some of you are thinking, "what's wrong with that?". And the answer is "Nothing, except in the long run it can undermine my efforts to reach my 100 pounds of weight loss in one year goal."



Life Fitness Club Series EllipticalConfession number three. I talk a lot about exercising but I am the worlds worst at actually doing it. On my journey to a new me I have found it easiest to eat the 1400 calories per day than to walk twenty minutes per day. Confessing this now, and seeing the words written is so embarrassing to me. I have begun, rather slowly, incorporating exercise into my daily program. Sunday I worked out twenty five minutes on my elliptical and I thought I was going to die. (and so did my husband). He kept asking me if I was alright. Well yes, I was alright but more than a little winded to say the least. But if this is what it takes to see the scale start moving down again, I am willing to accommodate.


Confession number four. Mexican food is not my friend! I have found that if there is one food that really under mines my efforts more than anything else, it is Mexican food! I don't know what it is about it that is so appealing to me. I tend to eat the chicken vs. the beef so that is a good choice. I never order cheese dip, although I often want to. My husband likes to order a combo number four at our favorite Mexican restaurant. It comes with two tacos, an enchilada and a beef & cheese tostada. He gives me the enchilada and he eats the rest. So the problem is not in what I am ordering. What I find as my biggest down fall than the actual food is the chips and salsa. Just like Chilis Bar & Grill that has bottomless bowls of chips and salsa so do the Mexican restaurants that we frequent.  It is the mindless over-eating of the chips which are made of corn, that keep me from dropping more weight.  I think the reason we tend to go eat Mexican once and sometimes twice per week is out of sheer convenience.  Well now that I have put it out there so to speak, I think it will help me to be more aware of what I am doing.



Confession is not always easy but it does help me to get things off my chest and off my mind.  I have a long way to go and don't need to sabotage myself along the way.  So what about you?:  What should you be confessing?  Even if it is just to yourself, confess the reasons to why you aren't doing something to help you become the most fit and healthy you that you can be.  I feel much better now, I think I will get on that elliptical trainer and work off some of those chips and salsa that I had for dinner tonight. 

No comments: