Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 30, 2011

Shorter Days Lead To Indoor Workouts

You know fall is here when the weather begins to turn cooler and the days become shorter and shorter. I am not sure that I like it when I leave work in the evenings and it is almost dark outside. So with this occurrence right around the corner I began to think of ways to stay active and get some exercise while being indoors.

Well the obvious first choice would be to join a gym. There are many gym memberships available for individuals and families. I have done this three or four times in the past but my biggest problem was that the most convenient times for me to go and utilize the equipment also happened to be everyone else's best time, so I found myself going less and less.
So if you are flexible in when you can go, then this would be a great option.

Another place that you could go and walk would be a nearby mall. I am not a mall shopper but I know that when I go to the mall I often see people who utilize the mall as their "gym" of sorts. Some times they even carry small weights and wear a pedometer to measure how many steps that they have walked. This is a great option for those who are on a budget and don't want to pay for a gym membership. Bur it also requires discipline because if you do more window shopping than walking you have defeated your purpose in the first place.

An outdoor place that is free to walk is a local park. The only draw back would be the weather and if there were no lights to walk in the evening. Most community parks have a track that you can walk and sufficient lighting for you to put in a few laps in the evening. This can be a great choice during the fall season as you can possibly watch the rec league football or soccer teams preparing for their next game.

There is another way to workout that I have never tried but it seems simple enough and that is working out on steps or stairs. If your home has a flight of steps inside or outside you could do intervals on those steps. Say for instance you have a flight of stairs going up to your bedrooms. You could go and and down those steps ten times, then rest a couple of minutes and then do it again. If ten times is too much in the beginning, try five, or three. You will burn calories, your will build muscle and you will tone what you have. This is another easy and free way to exercise and never leave your house.

Let's say you don't have steps but you liked the above idea. You could purchase an exercise "step" and step on and off 100 times, then rest, and repeat. If you can't do 100 steps to start try 50 steps. The point here is to get your heart rate up and to burn some calories.

I hope these ideas have helped you consider easy ways to move more, and burn some of those calories in the cooler months ahead. With the winter months fast approaching none of us need to get in the hibernation mode. Let's get up and get moving!

No comments: