Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Making Meal Plans For A Holiday Weekend

I don't know about you but I love family get togethers and time spent with my family! This weekend marks the last of the summer holiday weekends with Labor Day on Monday. I have always wondered why this holiday was called "Labor Day" when we don't labor at all but enjoy a day off from our labor. Oh well who knows? But I am happy to have the day off from work!

This weekend we have plans to enjoy time with my family at the lake and with the planning comes the thoughts of food and meals. Just because I am watching what I am eating does not mean that everyone else who will be there will be to, so there has to be thoughts about what we will eat. I spoke to my parents and we have come up with a meal plan that should be satisfying for everyone.

So here is the question, how can we have meals that are nutritional, delicious and still please everyone? Well it is not always easy on my journey to a new me to find the perfect mixture of  foods that are both healthy and taste good. Who wants to have a mini vacation and feel like they are eating lettuce three meals a day? Not Me!

Saturday evening we will crank up the grill and smoker and cook up some BBQ chicken and pork. A few vegetables, baked potato and cut up melon should be yummy and put a smile on everyone's face. Sunday my dad will make his "almost world famous pot roast " with potatoes and carrots cooked in with the meat. For sides we will have homemade mashed potatoes, gravy (but not for me)  vegetables and a toss salad. Monday we will have another cook-out on the grill for tasty hamburgers and hot dogs, baked beans, coleslaw and a variety of fruit.

With all this talk of food it is making me hungry! Now you may be wondering how I will eat any of the items above and still continue on my journey to a new me? Very easily, I will eat the foods that I love, and remember to count my calories for all the food that I do consume.  It is easy to do with my iphone and my app for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  With this app I am able to journal everything that I put into my mouth.  My goal of 85 pounds is just around the corner, and I hope that when my Labor Day mini-vacation is over that Mr. Scale will have some very nice to report to me about my efforts.  I will keep you posted as the weekend approaches but until then start thinking about your Labor Day weekend now?  How will you spend it?  What will you do for activity?  And most importantly what kind of food choices will you be making?  You have a few more days to think about your meals, so don't be caught without a plan. 
Happy Labor Day everyone!

My grandson, CJ, and my grandaughter, Leah,
love to spend time at the lake & in the water.

No comments: