Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The "Love - Hate" Relationship

Today I wanted to share my thoughts about a "Love-Hate" Relationship that I have. Now before you go thinking that I have someone in my life who I both love and hate, please continue to read this blog post for all the information before coming to a conclusion.  Here is what Wikipedia.com has to say about having a "Love-Hate Relationship":


A love–hate relationship is an interpersonal relationship involving simultaneous or alternating emotions of love and hate. This relationship does not have to be of a romantic nature, and may be instead of a sibling one. It may occur when people have completely lost the intimacy within a loving relationship, yet still retain some passion for, or perhaps some commitment to, each other.

The term is used frequently in psychology, popular writing and journalism. It can be applied to relationships with inanimate objects, or even concepts.[3][4] It is sometimes employed by writers to refer to relationships between celebrity couples who have been divorced, then who reunite (notably Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, or Eminem and Kimberly Scott).

The portion that I would like to draw you attention to in the above statement is found in the last paragraph, "It can be applied to relationships with inanimate objects, or even concepts.["    

You see, my feelings are not actually a "love-hate" relationship that I have with anyone, but with something, FOOD.  You see even though I have successfully lost 101 pounds on my journey to a new me during the past year, I still have my own issues with food.  Food is a simple four letter word that is both nourishment and a stumbling block on my journey.  When I eat the right types of foods my body grows leaner and is energized. But when I eat the wrong types of foods I feel tired and sluggish and do not have the stamina to exercise like I know that I should.  So you are probably wondering why this would matter.  I have declared in all of my blog post up to this point that I can eat anything that I want as long as I do not eat more than my daily allotment of 1400 calories, and this is still true.  But the longer that I am on this journey the more that I am realizing that the food or should I say "Fuel" that I am putting into my body does make a difference.

Let me give you an example of what I am talking about.  If during the day I use 180 calories at breakfast eating a Thomas bagel thin and a serving of the 1/3 reduced fat strawberry cream cheese, and then for lunch I use another 400 calories on lean protein and a salad with light or fat free dressing, then dinner comes around and I find myself with 820 calories to use for my last meal of the day.  What I find that happens is that I use these calories on entree that are high in carbs. Although I don't allow myself to go over the 1400 calories, I am now too full or stuffed to want to get my exercise in.  You know the feeling that you get when you over eat on a holiday?  That is what I am talking about. 


So starting today, I would like to change my thinking about the four-letter word "food"
and begin thinking about a new four-letter word, "fuel".   My vehicle takes unleaded gasoline to operate.  Like most people I always opt for the 87 octane.  But what kind of performance would I get if I used the higher 93 octane?  I don't know what my car would do, but I believe that my body would respond positively.  If I even switched my heavy meal to lunch time and had my lighter entree for dinner at night, I would still be consuming the 1400 calories, but I would probably have more energy and stamina to get my exercise in and other activities too!

So my resolution begining tomorrow will be to try this process for one week to see if it makes a difference in my results.  I don't know about you but  I am ready to put an end to the "love-hate" relationship that I have with food and begin the next phase of my journey to lose 50 pounds in '2012.  I know that I can do it, I guess I just needed to hear myself say it!

No comments: