Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Good Will Is Not Just A Place To Donate Any More!

My husband and I have always given to charities. We regularly give to all sorts of charitable organizations. We know that we are blessed and when we no longer have a use for something or know that we are not going to wear that pair of shoes that we bought on the clearance rack and then only wore a couple of times, we donate to Good Will, The Kidney Foundation and other reputable organizations.


This past weekend I helped my parents with a huge multi-family yard sale, and you guesses it all of the lovely yard sale treasures that did not sell were loaded into our vehicles and carried to the Good Will store. When I drove up to the drop off area I noticed that I was at the end of a very long lime. There were seven pick up trucks loaded down with treasures of their own. (I guess there were a lot of other yard sales that day). A few of the trucks even had trailers full of furniture and other household items.

I walked inside to a very organized and well lit store. Because it was a Saturday there were quite a few families shopping down every aisle. In years past I had never had much success finding any clothing items in my size because I wore a "plus-plus" size, but today I felt lucky. On my journey to a new me i am learnng at a pretty quick pace that it is not a wise investment to over buy in the area of clothing because at the rate that I am losing weight I do not stay in the size long enough to really enjoy the new clothes that I have purchased.


While walking down the first aisle I spotted a very nice pair of jeans, and at under $6.00 who could walk away from that. Two aisles over I found a cute top and since I was having such a good time I continued until I reached the far wall where the jackets were hung in no particular order. A black leather pants length jacket with a leather belt caught my attention and as I reached up to take it down off the rack my hand was shaking. "Could I be so lucky as to find myself a winter jacket for $5.67"? As soon as I pulled it down and removed the hanger I slid my arm in one arm hole and then the other and guess what? It was a perfect fit!
I could not believe it! If I had to estimate the value of this leather jacket I would say new it would be $200.00 to $250.00. I felt so blessed! It looked fabulous and I knew it was a "must have" in my new winter wardrobe. I also knew that next winter this same great jacket will be just one of the many items that I will be able to give away because it will be too big for me!


I know it sounds like I am "counting my chickens before they hatch" but some times you just know what you know! And in this case, I KNOW!


So next time you drive into the charity of your choice drop-off lane, take moment to park the care and go inside. Walk down a few of the aisles. Who knows you may just find yourself to be as lucky as I did!

I love my new leather jacket, and at the
 bargain price  that I paid I will wear it until it
 is too big, and go and get another one!

No comments: