Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Saying Good Bye To Nashville


Our fabulous three day wedding anniversary weekend in Nashville, TN is over today and we have to drive back home to Georgia.  I am a little sad to have to leave because it has been a much needed time to spend some quality time together.  We have been married for 28 years and just like anything else there are times when we just don't get to spend enough time on the things, or should I say people that are important to us.  My husband is very important to me.  He has no idea how much I depend on him and his encouragement. 

When I began my journey to a new me I remember the first thing that he said to me when I left the doctor's office and told him what the doctor had said about me doing something about my obesity.  I told my husband that the doctor wanted me to only eat 1400 calories per day.  It seemed impossible to do even as I repeated those words to him, but his initial response was, "I think you can do it".  He had faith for both of us.  He is such a strong spiritual leader in our home too.  He stands on God's word and believes that we will succeed if we put the Lord first.  I have to admit that there are times that I believe but maybe not as quickly as he does.  He is a good example of a person who has the faith of the grain of mustard seed.  Notice I did not say he has the faith of a mustard seed but the "grain" of mustard seed.

When I was a little girl my grandmother who we called "Maw Maw" always wore a little gold pin on her dress or house-dress that said "Jesus Saves" and there was a very small seed encased in a little glass ball.  Every time that I would hear  a minister preach about faith and that the Bible teaches us to have the faith of a grain of mustard seed, I always thought about her special pin.  It was only after my grandmother passed away a few years ago that I found out what the scripture was actually referring to. 

And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.  Matthew 17:19-21 (in Context)
Matthew 17 (Whole Chapter)

 Please notice, it does not say to have the faith of the mustard seed, it says that we are to have the faith of a grain mustard seed.  Did you know that if you had a mustard seed in the palm of your hand it would be a about the size of a sesame seed.  If you squeezed that mustard seed you would have 100's of little microscopic grains that would burst out of the seed.  Well that is what the Bible is referring to, the "grain" of the mustard seed.  (the little "grain" of the mustard seed) is all that is required.    

I was thinking about this today as we prepared to go home and began getting our bags packed.  Tomorrow morning I will step on Mr. Scale for my one  year weigh in.  I believe with all of my heart that I have been on my program eating only 1400 calories per day this weekend and we have been very active.  I want more than anything for the scale to report that I have lost the 100 pounds and maybe a little extra!  Faith is a requirement that I have developed on my journey to a new me.  I believe that I got a full dose of it the day that I left my doctor's office on December 10, 2010 and I have been using it every step along my way.  You see without faith it is impossible to please God.

So I have shared with you about my faith and how it is helping me to stay motivated and encouraged on my journey. What about you?  What are you doing with your faith?  Is it in a little glass ball hanging from a small gold pin that says Jesus Saves or are you using it to help you on your journey to a new you?  I don't know about you but isn't it time we put a little pressure on that mustard seed and watched those little grains take root in our life?


No comments: