Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Caution: Road Block Ahead - Detour Required

Today is a day that I have looked forward to for many months. Today we are "Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again!" well that is not entirely true, we do know when we are returning back home. We have an 11 Day Adventure planned out west. Something that we have wanted to do since we had our adventures out west in '2008.

The ride to the airport was easy and light on traffic. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time to get through security and have an early dinner before boarding our plane. We had many choices on the concourse that we were departing from so we selected  T.G.I. Fridays. The place was packed with our fine military men and women either coming home from Afganistan or returning.

After dinner we found seats in the terminal and waited anxiously for the Delta members at the boarding gate to announce that they were now boarding our flight to Colorado Springs, CO.  To help pass the time, Kevin began speaking to one of the military servicemen and I wrote my last blog post.

The loudspeaker came on and the announcement that we had been waiting for did not come. Instead this is what we heard. "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your patience. I am sorry to inform you that the flight that was supposed to depart at 7:15 pm will not be able to leave on time as we are experiencing extreme weather conditions, thunder storms and lightning. Once it is determined that it is safe to board the aircraft and take-off we will make our next announcement. Please feel free to tour the concourse, visit the gift shops or find yourself something to eat. This delay may take a while."

Well the delay that she referred to was more than that. It was over two hours before we were able to board and then we sat on the airplane on the tarmac waiting for all the other planes who had been trying to land for the past two hours to do so. When we finally got that Boeing 737 up in the air it was past 10:30 and by the time we made the 2 hour and 50 minute flight into the Colorado Springs airport it was almost 1:30 am Georgia time! We were tired to say the least.

This was a Road Block if ever I had seen one, and the detour of our time was a costly one because we were exhausted most of the next day. We took it easy and enjoyed a few sights in the immediate area. On my journey to a new me I have accepted that some times you will hit a road block or must take a detour but I refuse to abandon my journey altogether! Just like we eventually made it to our destination, I know that the same is true for me on this journey to a new me. It may not always be the smoothest path and straightest road, but as long as I keep moving in the right direction I know that I will make it.


I will post more about my journey to a new me while I am on vacation. Who knows, you might get a great idea for your next vacation. Stay tuned.

No comments: