Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Children Can Say The Funniest Things


My grandaughter, Leah, and one of their
new Miniature Schnauzer puppies, Brody
 I think it is true, children do say the funniest things.  My 2-1/2 year old grandaughter is no exception to this statement.  She is very fun loving and quick witted.  She is like a sponge in that everything that you do she wants to do, and like a parrot in that everything that you say she is going to repeat.

While having dinner with my son and his wife and children they told us a funny story of her riding in the backseat of their car on the way to the store.  And someone pulled out in front of them and from the backseat they heard her say:  "This is ridiculous!"  They started laughing because what two year old would know that word much less say it at an appropriate time, but she did.

This made me think of all the times that she and her brother, now 4 years old, have repeated something that they had heard the adults say.  Some times the words out of their mouth are not really what we would want them to say, sometimes it is funny and sometimes it is just plain honest.

Before beginning my journey to a new me I often thought about what my relationship would be with my grandchildren.  Would I be the grandmother that they loved and cherished and wanted to come to my house?  Would we bake cookies together during the holidays?  Would they help me plant flowers?  Did my future include fun activities like roller skating, playing chase, or hide and go seek?  It is nice to know that the further along that I go on my journey to a new me, the more clearly that I can see me in a more active role in their lives.  I do not have to be the grandmother who is too big to have fun with them, like I was with my own children.  I want to enjoy them now, not wait until I reach my goal.  The first few years of their lives I was a sit down kind of Nana, but I see a much more active relationship developing in our near future!  Boy do I love my grandchildren and now that I am on this journey to a new me I can have many more years with them in better health.

Leah & CJ hanging out after dinner at
Vinny's New York Style Pizza

No comments: