Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer Is My Favorite Season For Fruit



I love summer. I love spending warm lazy days at the lake. I like going to the beach, but I love the cool fresh water of Lake Hartwell, or any other fresh water lake for that matter. We live closer to Lake Sidney Lanier but it is always so over crowded that we have spent most of our summer weekends at Lake Hartwell which is just a little over an hour drive from our home.


What would be time spent at the lake without fresh fruit in season? This past Friday my sweet husband traveled to our favorite farmers market, orchard and farm off I-985, J-Moore Farms. There he purchased cantaloupe, watermelon, a basket of Fuji apples, sweet Georgia peaches, and Bartlett pears. And he also bought a few pounds of home grown big boy tomatoes!
 
With so many choices it was hard to decide what to eat first so I let the ripeness of the fruit lead me. When I put my nose to the end of the cantaloupe I could smell the sweetness of the fruit through the skin. My mom peeled, cleaned out the center and sliced it into long thin slices. The pay off was great! When I bit into the sweet savory treat the juice from it ran down my face. Who needs candy and cookies when you have something this sweet and satisfying that is also so good for you? 


This morning I attempted to eat one of the peaches but it was still a little "hard" and I decided against it.  On my journey to a new me I am discovering that there are healthy ways for me to feed my "sweet tooth" and it not cost me half of my daily calorie allotment of 1400. Tonight our church had an ice cream social and church get together and I decided to eat my "dessert" before I got there. Remember the sweet and juicy cantaloupe that I spoke about earlier? I ate some of this to appease my sweet tooth and curb my craving "before" I had the temptation of the ice cream. And guess what? It worked! I was not tempted in the least. My mind knew what would be on the menu when we arrived at the church, but because I had tasted something sweet before we arrived it sort of tricked my body into thinking that I was satisfied.  
 This is something that I will try to implement for other occasions as well, ei: birthday parties, weddings, cook-outs, etc. I am looking forward to enjoying the other fruit that my husband surprised me with. And who knows, maybe my body will re-train itself to enjoy fruit for sweets instead actual cakes, cookies, candy and other sinful delights. My journey to a new me has given me many insights along the way and I can't wait to see what is around the next bend.

No comments: