Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Wishing & Hoping" Is Simply Not Enough!


 




Wishing and hoping is not only an old expression but it is also the lyrics to a oldies song. I remember watching a movie with Julia Roberts called "My Best Friend's Wedding" and this was one of the songs used in this movie. The premise of the movie was that the two main characters, Julianne (Julie Roberts)  and her best friend in college, Michael (Dermot Mulroney) would marry each other if neither of them had wed by the time they turned 28 years old.  Everything looked like they were going to live happlier ever after until four days before the 28th birthday arrived and Julianne receives a telephone call that would change everything.

If you have seen the movie you know that it was a hit in 1997 and is still a popular romantic comedy that is enjoyed today. The movie is both a comedy and a musical of sorts with the main cast actually singing during some of the scenes. They even have Cameron Diaz singig bad karaoke for one of the scenes. (In my opinion, that was karaoke at is worst.)


So why am I reflecting on a movie that came out over 14 years ago and what does it have to do with my journey to a new me?  Actually, it was the song, "Wishing and Hoping"  that I had heard on a drive home from work while listening to one of the oldies satellite radio stations that I listen to.  It made me think about myself and others who are overweight and have always been in the wishing and hoping catergory. 

I for one was always "wishing" that I was of normal weight.  That I had better metabolism.  I "wished"  that when I attempted to lose weight that I could lose it and keep it off.  I "wished"  that I could shop at mall stores and not large womens plus size clothing stores.  But not only was I  "wishing"  but I was  "hoping" at the same time..  I would "hope"  that I could stick to the diet that I was on at the time, but never really committed but  "hoping"  for drastic results.  Then "hoping" for a healthy body weight but not willing to make the investment to get it

I remember while watching the movie, My Best Friend's Wedding, and  wishing and hoping that somehow Julia Roberts would end up with her man, but in the end Cameron Diaz won out.  So that shows me that all the "wishing and hoping " in the world will not change anything, but what you "DO" can change everything. 

If  "wishing and hoping" is all that you ever do, then "wishing and hoping" is all that you will ever get.  You have to do more than make a "wish".  I had to put a fire in my wishful thinking.  I had to replace hopelessness with hopefulness.    If you are still  "wishing and hoping" for a perfect time to make a change for the better, I say the time for "wishing and hoping" is over.  It is time to make all of your "wishing and hoping"  come true.  How you may ask?  By setting your mind to it and putting forth your best effort every day!  Throw away those words "Wishing and Hoping" and replace them with words that emower you to make the change for yourself today!

No comments: