Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 1, 2011

Train Rides Are A Blast From The Past

On my journey to a new me I am learning and rediscovering all sorts of things about myself, and here is a little known fact about me, I love western movies, cowboys, indians, and trains!  Over three years ago when we took a vacation out west my supervisor at work had asked me if we were going as far as Chama, New Mexico?  I asked him why and he said that if we ever got a chance we should take the train ride from Chama, New Mexico to Antonito, CO.  He explained that this is considered the best of the best narrow gauge coal fired steam locomotive and that it was the best way to see the Rocky Mountains.  On our previous vacation we never made it that far across the state of New Mexico to take the train ride, but this time we made a special point to travel the extra distance to enjoy the experience. 


The main entrance to the
Cumbres & Toltec RR
Antonito, CO
 We set our GPS with the address of the train depot and upon arriving to the station I knew that we were about to experience a ride of a lifetime. 
We arrived at the train depot with a few minutes
to spare and found our seats on the third passenger car.  The engineer was already sounding the whistle and the conductor was shouting his last minute "All Aboard".  We began the journey and waited in anticipation as we left
the valley of Antonito, CO and began our ascent into the great Rocky Mountains.

There are several train ride packages available and we had decided on the full day excursion.  Having never before ridden on a train of this type
for any length of time, we really did not know what we were getting ourselves in for.


Kevin & Kathy before the train ride began!
 As the train began to move down the track people on the train began walking from one car to the next and through our car to the "open air car" behind us.  With my curiosity rising, I got up and made my way to the back of the bus so to speak to see what all the fuss was about.

The open air car was just that, a train car with no top or sides that you can stand against the side wall and see all that there is to see.  The air that started out refreshing soon became a little unbearable for some who chose to move back into the passenger car, but me?  I thought to myself, what the heck I may never have this experience again so I am going to make the most of it.  As the train moved along the tracks we saw a different landscape appear right before our eyes!  The flat land of the valley in Antonito moved up into the 10,000 feet plus Rocky Mountains with more Aspen trees and cedar trees (Think a Christmas Tree farm times 1,000,000!!)  because for as far as the eyes could see the world was as green as green could be.





Half way through to our destination they stopped in a town that consisted of one building and that was the train station and cafeteria that you could choose from Turkey & Dressing.mashed potatoes and green beans
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and green beans or Soup and Salad.  We dined on Turkey & Dressing, well I should say I dined on Turkey & Dressing, Kevin ate Turkey and a double serving of mashed potatoes!
The gravy was a little different but everything was still very tasty.  They had a wide assortment of desserts, which I ate none, and any type of drink that you could imagine.  It was here that we had our very first glass of iced tea on this entire vacation!  I had two glasses of unsweet tea and then switched over to a sugar-free peach punch.

I purchased a few items in the very small gift shop and we were on our way again.  The sights were very similar to the beginning of the trip and I spent more time in the passenger cabin with my hubby.


 I  never realized until the train pulled into the train depot in Chama, NM that I was covered in soot from the steam engine.  My pretty light teal polo shirt was "gray" from the smoke from the train engine, and my hair!
Oh my goodness!  There are no words to describe my hair!  The blonde hair now looked more blackish gray than anything else!  And I smelled pretty too!  Like I had been "working on the railroad myself"!  It was an experience of a lifetime that much is for sure.  The train only traveled at 22 mph so you could really see and enjoy what you were seeing, but maybe next time we will choose the enclosed air conditioned deluxe car to better enjoy the journey, but just like my journey to a new me, I am learning a little more every day what
I enjoy and what I would do again, and some times they are the same and sometimes it requires a little bit of changing!  So from one train lover to the next, I'll see you at the next stop!



 

No comments: