Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Little More "Life" In My Day!

Music speaks to me. I don't know about you, but songs have a way of speaking into my spirit. Today I heard a song that I had not heard in a while by a contemporary Christian group, Newsong. The song is entitled "A little more life in my day". The music is upbeat and catchy but the real hook for me is the title of the song that is sung throughout the chorus, "A little more life in my day".

This describes perfectly what is happening to me, right now, in my life! The more weight that I lose, the better I feel. The better I feel, the more energy I have. The more energy I have, the more I am able to move. The more I am able to more, the more that I WANT to move. Not just move but be active. Active to the point of exercise! Yes! Excercise!

For me this has been a piece of the puzzle that had not fully come into focus yet on My Journey To A New Me. I know how important it is. I talk about needing to do something, but I am more than a little slow when it comes to implementing it (excercise) into my life.

On Monday I took a ten minute break at work ( we get two of these per day but I am not one to indulge in these things) and I walked into our gym to walk on the treadmill. But what happened next surprised even me. I found myself having a conversation in my mind about which piece of equipment to get on. Before losing 54.8 lbs the only choice would have been the treadmill, but today I found my legs leading me over to the elliptical (did I spell that right?). You know that weird looking thing that causes you to move your arms and legs at the same time in an effort to make you look like some strange creature looking like your snow skiing or about to attack something? Well I got on it and told myself this is a test, this is only a test. No one is in here, let me see what I can so. I have to be honest, my husband and I purchased one of these nice pieces of equipment over four years ago and neither of us have reallly used it. I doubt it has two hours total on it. Any way, back to my adventure in my work gym.

I got on and I started off cautiously at first. Then I began to build my confidence and speed. When my ten minutes were up my legs were wobbly but my pride was sky high! I did it! I worked out for ten minutes on this crazy device. What a sense of accomplishment! I looked up my calories burned on www.myfitnesspal.com and found that this ten minutes equated to 208 calories! Wow! What a pay off!

Tuesday I did not make the time to excercise, but Wednesday I walked sixteen minutes on the treadmill at 3.5 mph! I have Never Ever done this before! Hey maybe I can jog? I wonder..
Then later that day I got back on my friend, the elliptical and took another spin for ten more minutes! This exercising may be addicting! I hope so! I am going to shoot for every other day, but if I happened to exercise on my "off" day, oh well. It can't hurt, can it?

So, the song that I was listening to spoke to me today. Every day that I am on this journey doing the right things, not just in my eating but in exercising also, I can put a little more life in my day! And this is a great feeling! If something feels good you want to keep doing it, especially if it is Good for you (me). So here's to spending more time with my new friend, Mr. Elliptical! Who knows, he may just have a positive effect on me!

No comments: