Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Old Thoughts Coming Back To Haunt Me

I believe it can happen to anyone. When you are going through a "low place", or a sad time in your life you can have thoughts of returning to your old way of coping with the feelings and emotions that you are dealing with.

I am no different. Honestly, I want to share with you a few insights into my thinking recently to show you that I am human and I have not "arrived" just because I have lost 55 lbs. On My Journey To A New Me.

During the last three weeks of losing two family members (Minnie Pearl & Anastasia "Annie"). I have been trying to deal with the sadness and grief over losing them and on more than one occasion I have found myself thinking about turning to my old friend, FOOD, for comfort. I drove by a Brusters Ice Cream shop and had to fight myself to keep from turning in. Not just on one occasion but possibly three or four during this time. Now is eating ice cream the worst thing that I could do? No! But did I account for the calories that it would cost me in my daily allowance of 1400? No! And it was after 8 pm and I had no extra calories to spare!

When I started out on this journey I made a hard and fast rule with myself that if I was tempted to eat something and NOT count it in my 1400 daily allowance, I would not eat it. I also told myself that if there was a time that I was going to eat something in between meals it would it be something that I would eat in front of my husband, parents, friends or family. If not, then I wouldn't eat it. Why? Well let me explain.

Most overweight people have a problem with binge eating. They have secret stashes of food, and love to sneak away and eat alone. In private we believe that no one can see us feeding our pie hole and stuffing it full of food until we are satisfied, or at least numb. Well the secret is out! I want to expose the secret to everyone reading this blog post. Everyone can SEE you eating all of that junk! No they might not be in the room, car, or other special place that you retreat when you secretly eat, but they can SEE you eat when you are finished eating. Why? Because they can see the end result or the affects of your guilty indulgence! All those snack cakes, Little Debbies, candy bars, cookies, ice cream, hot McDonalds French fries and Hot Apple Pies, did not just show up on my body, I put them INTO my body through a very small hole, my mouth.

So during my past few weeks of mourning the loss of my sweet pup-pups I have had a real chance to evaluate why I eat and when I eat. Here are some strategies that I utilize in my journey. Maybe they will work for you.

1. Now that I am on this journey I try to NEVER eat alone. I make a point to be in a public place when I am eating with people who know me around me This is just good accountability. (Now that is a fifty-cent word that you don't hear used too often!). I don't want to get back into the bad habit of eating in between meals and the wrong types of food
( high calorie foods, fried foods, greasy foods and food full of sugar)

2. Plan what you will eat and Know how many calories it will cost you. Don't guess, make sure to know before you consume the food so that the only surprise on the scale is a pleasant one.

3. Eat with friends and family when at all possible. Don't be a Lone Ranger, enjoy your meal and some good conversation at the same time.

4. If you should eat something that you did not plan to eat COUNT the calories any way! Then if you gain weight you will know why. Believe me, you will not gain a pound every time you go off the mark a little bit, but the longer you are off track the better your chances to gain and not get back in the right lane of losing wright!

I hope you find these thoughts and tips helpful. Remember even though you may think you are secretly eating those special snacks and/ or treats, you really aren't. Everyone can see your secret indulgence when you are through.

No comments: