Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Saying Good-Bye To A Family Member Is Never Easy


Minnie Pearl passed away
 Saturday   4/2/2011

I was not sure if I would be able to write this blog post today because of the great sadness that has been on me since yesterday afternoon.  My smallest adult miniature schnauzer, Minnie Pearl, died yesterday at the age of 12.



What was so hard for us was that it was so unexpected.  She was not really sick and had been eating well since she had her 10 teeth pulled back in December.  She seemed to be thriving and getting along so well with our two new miniature schnauzer pupplies, Harley & Allie, that we just did not see this coming.  But over the past few days we noticed she was not eating and drinking and she was having problems breathing.  She was keeping to herself, and she seemed very unsettled.  Our oldest dog, Anastasia, "Annie", could sense that something was very wrong, but even she did not know that Minnie Pearl was living her last day.


(Left to Right, Annie & Minnie Pearl)

We had decided before Saturday arrived that if she did not improve that we were not going to take her to the vet and try to do some miracle that would prolong her life for a few extra days, but that we would allow her to pass at home.  It was probably one of the hardest decisions that we ever had to make.  To watch an animal that you love and has been part of your family for over 12 years pass was heart-breaking.


Chips & Salsa
 In the past when I felt this great a loss, and this much pain, I would turn to food for comfort.  Not just any  food, but sweets and junk food.  I would not allow myself to feel the pain.  I tried to numb myself  against the pain with food.  But now I realize that all this did was offer a pathetic excuse to eat what and how much I wanted to.

This experience has given me a chance to reflect on all the good times that I have had with my Minnie Pearl.  I will miss her so much but I know that we did the right thing by letting her pass in her sleep while in the comfort of her own little bed.  I am happy to say that I did not turn to food during this time of grief and have been able to continue doing the right things on my journey to a new me.  We still have our two new puppies, and our Annie is still hanging in there for now.  I know that things will be a little less hectic without four dogs to tend to, but we sure will miss our Minnie Pearl. 

No comments: