Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Am Watching The Scale Move In A Great Direction... DOWN!

Starting every day with a trip on Mr. Scale to see if all my hard work is still paying off can be as exciting as watching paint dry. For days and some times weeks there is no change, but in the past week I have watched it slide from from 32 to 34 without lingering on 33. Then i was pleasantly surprised to see 35 pop out of nowhere. But I was in for an even bigger surprise! This morning during my ritual, Mr. Scale reported 36 pounds. That's 36 pounds gone since December 11,2010.

I was a little surprised, but I'll take it! Saturday was full of interesting food choices for me. My husband and I began our day with taking our two puppies to the vet for shots. It was 10:20 before we ate breakfast. We wanted to try a new restaurant and I ordered something that sounds worse than it is. Two egss scrambled with spray not oil, and a light dusting of shredded cheese, two slices of crispy bacon, two homemade "cat-head" biscuits and a side of country gravy. In the old days I would have let the cook use grease instead of spray for my eggs, two slices of cheese in my eggs, and they would have served those biscuits and gravy sloppy on a plate. The biscuits would have been sliced and served open-faced and floating in as much gravy as they would give me. And don't forget the bowl of cheese grits please.

But I now know a better way. I wrapped one of the biscuits in a to-go box so the temptation would not much of a temptation. I them enjoyed my eggs and bacon and took my time breaking off a small piece of biscuit at a time and barely dipping it into the bowl of white sausage gravy. By the time I had completed my meal, I was not only satisfied, I was full. It looked like I had not even touched the bowl of gravy, but I promise you because I had not added any butter or jelly to that biscuit, every bite was bearing a scant dab of gravy.

I will admit it was a little daring, but not as premeditated as my plan to "jolt" my system a couple of weeks ago. This just goes to show that in moderation you can eat anything that you desire if you do it sparingly.

Oh, and later that evening I had dinner with my husband and my folks at the same place. Before bringing us our checks the waitress asked if we would like to try their homemade desserts. My husband ordered the blackberry cobbler with ice cream and I opted for a small red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing. It was only a dollar so what did I have to lose?

Now before you go thinking I blew it, let me explain what I did when that cupcake arrived. First of all it was one of the most petite cupcakes I had ever seen, and there was not very much frosting on it either. But I took the cupcake out of the wrapper and cut it in half, then I cut it in half again. There were now four extremely small bites of red velvet cupcake morsels. I ate the first one and really tasted the texture and the sweetness. It was good but not great. What I liked more than the cake was the cream cheese frosting ( but remember it was not piled on there like I would have made it, it was a very thin layer of icing). I then took my second bite, but of the icing only. The rest of that piece and the other half of the cupcake were left on the plate.

So why you may say did I do this? Why after selling my boxes of Girl Scout Cookies just the day before would I give in to the cupcake? I'll tell you why. Because I could. I knew I was finally able to control the sweets instead of them controlling me. You see yesterday I did not believe I could make it all day at work with those five boxes of Girl Scout Cookies starring at me, so I got rid of them like a bad habit. But this experiment showed me that I am way more determined than I originally gave myself credit for. I can trust myself with my number one enemy, Sweets, and still WIN!

No comments: