Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Booth or Table?

For some of you this blog post will not make too much sense, but to others you will understand completely and maybe admit, even if it is to yourself, that you have been there yourself!

I like everyone else enjoy a nice breakfast, lunch or dinner with my husband, family, or friends. When we arrive at the restaurant the hostess promptly ask "Would you like a booth or a table?" Well to me the most romantic or intimate choice would be a booth of course, but when you are obese this is easier said than done.

I can't tell you how many times I have responded "booth please" only to be walked over to the booth and realized that I would be the reason that we couldn't sit there because I simply did not fit. Unfortunately the hostess doesn't carry a "wedge tool" in her pocket to assist me in my seating choice.  So when this would happen the hostess has to walk back up to the hostess stand and "un-mark" the booth so that someone else can be seated in our first choice and she walks us over to the table for big people.

What an embarrassing situation! Not just for me, but for my loved ones who are on the ring-around-the-table ride that I have taken us on. I know it would have been better to just say "Table please" when the original question came up but I like to think that by some miracle the booth would expand like my pants with the secret elastic in the sides of the waistband. (the good news is I no longer have to wear those types of pants, Yeah!)

Well this weekend something happened to change all of this. My husband and I went to Waffle House for breakfast and waited for a seat because they were super busy on a Saturday morning. There were no booths available ot the seats at the low counter and a slew of seats at the high counter. I don't know why, but I found myself looking at the booths that are usually way way too small for me to even think about sitting in. And I thought to myself, "Why not wait for a booth to become available and try?" What did I have to lose but my pride and that has happened before.

So as the elderly couple rose up out of their booth I approached and checked out the seating choice.  Was it really that narrow?  Was I just kidding myself?  This could be another embaressing moment like so many others.   When they had finished clearing the dishes and wiping off the table surface, I sat my purse on the inside of the booth and slid in.  WOW!!! I fit !!! It was a day for a miracle!!! I fit into the worlds smalled booth!!!  Oh Happy Day !!! This is amazing!!! It wasn't even tight, there was even some room to spare.
I was smiling ear to ear and proudly told my husband that this was going to be a Great Day!  But on Sunday afternoon it got even better.  After church service we stopped to get a quick bite to eat at our favorite Mexican resturant and we sat in a booth, and my side of the booth was actually too far away from the table!
In days gone past I would have loved this much room but today it felt awkward.  So, I stood up and moved the seat of the booth closer to the table.  (This was only possible because it was the end booth)



Me sittng in a small booth at
the Waffle House
 I keep thinking about this great accomplishment.  It probably sounds silly to many of you, but for anyone who has the "Oh No, Not A Booth" issue when they go to a resturant, let me tell you it finally feels Great to be able to sit and dine where I want to.  My Journey To A New Me is full of surprises and some times miracles too!  I am so happy to report that my table days are over.  "I'll take a booth please!"

No comments: