Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chocolate Cake On My Journey To A New Me? Yes !!!


Homemade Chocolate Cake with a creamy fluffy icing
with milk chocolate icing.  Check out this presentation!




Last weekend I had an opportunity to spend time with my husband, parents and my niece.  We enjoyed a nice dinner at our favorite Mennonite Restaurant in downtown Lavonia, Georgia.  In case you ever have a chance to dine there the name is:  211 Main Street Restaurant & Bakery.

Everything that comes out of their kitchen is homemade with a special touch of goodness.  We always call it the "Amish Restaurant" but even though the food tastes as good as any Amish food that you would eat in Pennsylvania's Amish Counties this is a family owned and operated Mennonite restaurant. 

They have a full menu of soups, salads, sanwiches and special dinner plates.  Everything is so delicious but what everyone waits anxiously for is the dessert trays!  Before they bring out your check they bring out the large silver serving tray full of 12 or 15 different pies and cheesecakes.
Lemon Merguine Pie, Chocolare Cream Pie, NY Cheesecake with strawberries, Pecan Prailine Pie, etc.  And if you can't decide on one of this tempting treats they announce that they have seve or eight different Six-Layer cakes to choose from.

After eating our wonderful meal the server came to the table and brought out the temptations of a lifetime!  Just the aroma of those pies and cheesecakes had me gaining some of my weight back!  When asked if I would like some dessert, I politely answered, "No Thank You", my husband and parents replied the same, but when they asked my niece she looked at the tray and said "What else do you have besides pies and cheesecakes?"  and the server took her over to a glass refrigerated case to view the special cakes that they had to offer.  My niece came back to the table and announced that she had selected the Six Layer Chocolate Cake with fluffy white filling between the layers and milk chocolate icing.

We told her that the cake would be huge and that she may need to ask for a "to-go" box for the left overs and she smiled.  We had all ordered a slice of cake before and knew how wonderful they were but that they were too much for one person at one sitting.

When the cake arrived we noticed that there were two forks on the plate along side the slice of cake.  The server asked if there would be anything else and we responded, "just the check, please", and it was during this exchange that we all looked at that cake.  It was calling my name, my husbands name, my mothers name and my dads name. 

What happened next will surprise some of you, but we all took turns eating that cake!  It was the moistest and lightest chocolate cake that I believe that I have ever put in my mouth.  I ate three bites of that cake including the icing, and I am proud to say that that was enough!  On My Journey To A New Me I am discovering that sometimes a few "bites" are all that are necessary to stop the craving for sweets and to get some real satisfaction out of something that I love. 

This is the first time in my life that I have been able to eat three bites of anything that I truly enjoy and then put the fork down!  Wow!  I am happy for me and how far that I have come on this journey.  The memory of that chocolate cake will be with me for a long time and because it was so good and memorable I believe that I can go for quite a while before having another taste.  IT was sweeter than I remember chocolate cake to be and maybe that is a good thing!  If your ever in the Lavonia, GA area take some time to dine at the 211 Main Street Restaurant & Bakery.
 And even if you have already eaten dinner, stop on by for a piece of pie or a slice of cake.  You'll be glad you did!

Now you see it, now you don't!
That was one great piece of cake!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cake does look delicious! And no guilt when you split it five ways!
LCC