Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Going the "Wrong Way" On My Journey To A New Me!

Okay let's admit it. We have all gone the "wrong way" down a one way road at least once in our life! And who is counting, but some of us have done it more than once! Well recently this happened to me while on My Journey To A New Me!

My "wrong way" was not while driving my vehicle but a "wrong way" on Mr. Scale. As I mentioned in one of my recent post (Remember the "Eating Chocolate cake post?) I wrote about enjoying a very satisfying meal and three bites of chocolate cake. Well I failed to mention some of the other "indulgences" that I enjoyed during the rest of the weekend. So now it is confess time for me. Let me give you the run down of what went down, or should I admit "up"?


The following morning I got up bright and early to prepare a Big Country Breakfast complete with biscuits, sausage, crispy bacon, sausage gravy, scrambled eggs with cheese, and eggs over medium for my husband and father. I sat down with everyone and did my best not to eat everything, but a small portion of what I wanted, which happened to be a little bit of everything!

Lunch time rolled around and we were so busy working, painting, and moving furniture around that we almost missed lunch! Good thing I had eaten a hearty breakfast. Right? Well hang on just a minute! We finally stopped for a late lunch and by 3:30 we were in the truck driving to one of my favorite eating places at Lake Hartwell, Gumlog Bar-B-que. We don't necessarily go there for the BBQ but for some of the other "fancy fix-in's". (That is country for fried catfish filets, fried catfish on the bone, fried perch, fried shrimp, BBQ pork, BBQ that is so tasty it melts in your mouth!).

So we are seated and about to order and instead of ordering the chicken which is probably the "healthiest" food choice, I hear myself telling the server " I would like to order a Large Catfish Filet Platter and an extra plate to share with my 21 year old niece". Ever have that "I can't believe I just said that moment?". Well that went through my mind about 100 times before our food came out.

We did split the meal and we both ended up with two fried catfish filets. The meal came with Cole slaw, French fries, and hushpuppies, and I gave her all of those items and I ordered a "naked baked potato". I enjoyed every bite but couldn't believe for the life of me why I had chosen the fried food after not having it for so long. But maybe that was the reason, maybe I had a craving for it that I needed to satisfy.

Later that evening, much later, say 8:30 my mom announces that she is going to crank up the grill for dinner and we dined on delicious hamburgers and hotdogs. I opted for two hotdogs and the only saving grace was that they were of the "lite beef" variety and the bun was a "lite option" also. No chips, just two dogs and the buns.

The next morning I felt "full" like I had just sat down and eaten a big meal. This was not a good sign! I thought about what to do and I had a Thomas Bagel thin and low fat cream cheese. Now that was better. That felt "normal". The rest of the weekend continued at a normal pace and Sunday evening we went home.

Monday morning I was greeted by Mr. Scale with a bit of bad news. Instead of seeing that glorious downward spiral that I had become accustomed to, the reading was plus 2!!!!!!!
Oh No! How can this be? I jumped off and got back on, and the confirmation of my earlier bad news was true. I had gained TWO pounds during the weekend. A bad feeling came over me, one of complete failure on My Journey To A New Me. A feeling of "See, the first time you ate something off your "plan" (chocolate cake) you gained!" and the next thoughts bombarded me like gunfire. "It doesn't sound like any thing you have been preaching for the past five months is true, just look at you, your going the wrong way!". And then the temptation was there to blow it off, just quit trying. Why continue trying? What is the use? Seems like the same thing that has always happened in the past was happening again!

But Wait a minute! I don't want to go back to the way I was. I don't want to slide into my old way of living (eating!). I was still thinking about all of this when I met my husband later that day for lunch. I told him what had happened and that I was very discouraged. And he came to my rescue! My knight in shining armor came to speak words of love and encouragement to me and over me, for he knows more than anyone that I don't want to fail on my journey to a new me!

He told me to never give up! To do what I knew was right. Don't stop doing it since I have made it this far. So with that little pep talk I made my mind up to keep doing what has worked for me for the past five and a half months and I can gladly say that in three days I had dropped those two pounds! I am in it for the long haul! I am determined and committed!
Five days later I had dropped down to 63.2 pounds lost!!! I couldn't be happier! I am only 11.8 pounds away from my July 4th goal of 75 pounds! Look out world I see some BIG Fireworks in my near future!

No comments: