Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Jumping" That 60 Pound Hurdle! Landing On 61.2 !!!


I have been anxiously looking around the bend for my next "mark" and Saturday morning Mr.Scale greeted me with a Hug and a Kiss.   In the form of not just 60 pounds lost but a little "extra".   I smiled as I looked down and saw 61.2 pounds lost. This brings me to within 13.8 pounds from my July 4th goal of 75 pounds. This got me to thinking about my weight loss goals. To try and lose 100 pounds in only One Year really was a tremendous goal to set for someone who never was successful at losing twenty pounds and keeping it off for any length of time.  

I believe there are 5 D's that are helping me to succeed on this Journey to a New Me!
They are Dream, Desire, Decide, Determine, and Do It! ( Ok, I know the last one is two words but I am writing this blog and I like it!).


Before setting out to do anything "Big" you must first have a dream!  Those words were made famous over forty year ago by a very special man, Martin Luther King Jr.  His speech titled: " I have a dream" is still remembered and quoted today.   Wikipedia has this to say about it.

I Have a Dream" is a 17 minute public speech by Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered on August 28, 1963, in which he called for racial equality and an end to discrimination. The speech, from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, was a defining moment of the American Civil Rights Movement. Delivered to over 200,000 civil rights supporters,[1] the speech was ranked the top American speech of the 20th century by a 1999 poll of scholars of public address.

Another famous "Dream" statement came from the movie, Field of Dreams, staring Kevin  Costner.  He dreamed of building a baseball field out in the middle of a corn field!


Both of the examples are great reminders of great things that started with Dreams. I have often dreamed of being healthy and at my goal weight. During my forty seven years of living I can remember dreams of how I would look and feel and the things that I was able to do and accomplish, but the dreams never happened. Because "Dreaming" is not enough.


Next comes Desire. This is a word with so many meanings but when I think about Desire I think two different types of Desire.  First I think of romance. I think about the beautiful young lady and the hot leading man tormented by their desire for one another.  Their desire to be together is so strong that no matter the cost they would give their lives for the desire that they feel for one another.  The other Desire is the  desire 
that a married couple has to start a family.  They try so hard to get pregnant with their  first child.  I know about this type of desire first hand, because my husband and I were this couple.  We tried to conceive a child for eleven years before finally adopting our two older children. 

The third "D" is Decide.  Only you can Decide that you are going to do something.  No one can decide for you.  Nothing can happen for you until you decide.  Life will not get any better until you decide.  To Decide is an "Action Word", it means to act, or to do something.  This was my third step on my journey to a new me.

The fourth step is Determine.  This word is different than the others because it is the word that has more than one meaning and both are applicable to my journey.  Wikipedia defines determine as:
  1. To set the limits of.
  2. To ascertain definitely; to figure out.
Once I had determined to start this journey it was up to me to set the limits.  With my doctor's help I determined to eat 1400 calories per day.  But the rest was up to me to figure it out, and I am determined to see this through


The final "D" is Do It !  It is time to do what Nike made famous, Just Do It !!!  No one can do it for me, only I have the power to make a difference in my life.  Every decision that I make from this point forward is an action in the right direction.  I chose to Do It!!!  I am worth it.


On the beginning of my journey to a new me  it was only a Dream that blossomed into Desire that caused me to Decide that I wanted to be transformed by my Determination and later I wanted to Do It!  So I guess the question is "What are you waiting on?"  Do you ever Dream of the day when you will be at your goal weight?  Do you lack the desire and passion to attempt to change?  Don't you want to make the Decision to make the right choice?  It is time to get determined and fix your mind around the truth that You  too can Do It too!


In closing please remember these words from God's Word, " I can do all this through him who gives me strength. "  Phillipians 4:13  NIV


My next hurdle is the 75 pound mark, and with only 13.8 pounds to lose between now and July 4th I can see it on the track before me.  Don't get left in the dust, Do It for yourself today!

No comments: