Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 13, 2011

Healthy Food Choices Don't Have To Be Boring!

During my journey to a new me I have been asked all sorts of questions about how I am doing this?   Many people have asked me what have I been eating over the past five months to lose 59 pounds?  What foods can taste good and still be within my 1400 calorie per day limit?  As I mentioned in one my earlier blog post, every morning, Monday through Friday, I start my day with "a bagel on a diet" (formerly known as: a Thomas Bagel Thin) with a 1/3 less fat Philadelphia Strawberry Cream Cheese.  Recently I have added a 1/2 - 1 cup of sliced strawberries (minus the added sugar!) 

Doesn't my 220 calorie breakfast look Yummy?
By using my favorite tool, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  I am able to keep up with all of my calories and  everything that I put into my mouth. The Thomas Bagel Thin - Wholewheat is 110 calories, the 1/3 fat Philadelphia Strawberry cream cheese is 61 calories, and the sliced raw strawberries are 49 calories for 1 cup.  Doesn't this look better than a Chick-fil-a chicken biscuit or McDonald's Egg McMuffin?  And it is better for me too!!!

Now don't get me wrong,  I do enjoy my breakfast on Saturday mornings at C.G.'s Restaurant in my hometown.  Two eggs (hold one of the yolks please!) and a little melted cheese mixed in.  I ask them to cook the scrambled eggs with Cooking Spray (Pam) instead of using oil.  I order one biscuit with a side of the white gravy.  Instead of eating that biscuit and gravy "sloppy" like I used to,  I have them bring the gravy in a bowl on the side so that I can barely "dip" a small piece of the biscuit at a time into that white heavenly delight.   I have to say this simple breakfast is one of the highlights of my week.  Looking forward to it all week long keeps my car from veering into the fast food drive-thru lines for a quick biscuit in the mornings!

Today I decided to take my lunch to work which is both healthy and good for my pocketbook.
But deciding what to take was another challenge, so I chose to bring the Produce Market  from my refrigerator with me.

Cantaloupe, Spring Salad Mix, Two bags of cut up seedless watermelon, ,
a small tomato, 6 slices of cucumbers, and a cup of strawberries
rounded out my lunch time selection.

Not knowing what I wanted to eat, or how hungry I would be was only half  of the problem.  Deciding what to do with all of this food was another issue.  I had also brought along a couple of slices of home baked ham that my sweet husband had baked earlier in the week and it looked like the beginnings of a great Chef's Salad (minus the hardboiled eggs and cheese)


My version of a Chef's Salad
and one cup of watermelon & cantaloupe
Only 258 calories which included
 2 Tbsp of Fat Free Thousand Island
Dressing for my salad!

As you can see eating healthy does not have to be boring.  I believe that when I present the food with a nice presentation if helps me to enjoy it more.  I felt extremely full when I finished my lunch today and I could not believe how appetizing everything was., 

I love summer and all the fresh fruit that is available.  I  can't wait until the peaches come into season.  There is nothing better than sinking your teeth into a big and juicy sweet summer  Georgia peach. 

I am really enjoying myself on this journey and I am making good choices for me!  The results are showing the farther I travel down this road.  So what are you waiting for?  It's time you turn the corner.  Do something for yourself.  And ask yourself, "What choices I am making on my own journey?"  Whether you decide to do something about it or not,
you have made your choice.

No comments: