Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 4, 2011

Catching Up With The Doctor Before My Weekend Begins

I decided to take a quick trip down to my doctors office this morning before beginning on my weekend retreat with my mom. The doctor who got me started on My Journey To A New Me is in the Dacula office today so I figured why not go and have my A1C blood work done, and see what the good old doctor has to say about my progress.

As a Type 2 diabetic I am supposed to have this blood work done at least every 90 days. I believe it has been a longer stretch since I have though. I need to do a better job taking care of myself but when I test my sugar every day, sometimes twice a day, I am pretty happy with the results. I have a small confession, I actually stopped taking my meds four days ago because I had a little scare.

I was busy at work on Monday morning and my morning just seemed to fly by. By lunch time I was hungry and had a nice lunch with my husband at the Cracker Barrell ( my favorite meal, grilled chicken tenderloins, green beans and pinto beans). But about an hour and a half later I was sitting at my desk and I started feeling kind of funny. Sort of weak and light headed. I had my diabetes tester with me and decided to see what my sugar was. Well I hit an all-time low! My sugar was 51 !!!!!!!!! My sugar has never gotten down to 51 !!!!!!!

I quietly asked my co-worker sitting next to me if she would please go get me some orange juice. Her head popped up suddenly and with a concerned look on her face she asked me if I was alright. I told her that I wasn't feeling well and that my sugar was down to 51 !!! Well she like many of you probably don't know why this is considered low. But before I could explain she was rushing off to get me some orange juice. As I drank the full bottle of OJ I saw that my hand and lip were quivering. I am glad that I did not wait until I passed out to test my sugar! Just like people who are having heart attacks will often say " well I didn't know that I was having a heart attack because I was waiting for my arm to hurt or go numb". Well I have never had a heart attack but my dad has, and you don't really want to wait until you have that " arm hurting kind of feeling" before you do something about it.

I am so thankful that my friend was able to quickly respond to my emergency, and I am glad that the OJ worked so quickly. I did not take any more of my medicine this week because I was afraid that it would drop my sugar down to the basement again. As a diabetic i should maintain a blood test of 80-120 max. Maybe while on my journey to a new me I can drop off more than just the weight, but some of the medication that I have been taking since becoming a diabetic over six years ago. I see less meds in my future and thats a Good Thing! I can't wait until that day!

1 comment:

Krissy Payton said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I too had type 2 diabetes and it did go away thanks to the weight loss. I check my A1C regularly and am proud it is in the 5 range compared to the 7 to 9 range. Keep up the fabulous work it sures pays to feel better!