Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Say "Pass" On The Bread Basket, Please!

Have you ever noticed that most of the restaurants that you frequent have a secret weapon to sabotage your best efforts? I am referring to the dreaded bread basket! It's the part of your meal that is Free! It's like water, it cost you nothing on your bill, but it costs you everything in the long run.

Every place that we enjoy eating out has that one thing that can be so hard to resist. You go to O'Charlies and have every intention of being good and ordering the California Grilled Chicken Salad and the server brings over those hot buttery yeast rolls. What do you do? Or you meet friends at the Olive Garden and its all you can eat salad and with their hot garlic breaksticks or go to Provinos Italian Restaurant and they bring out bowls of hot buttery garlic rolls. Let's face it, with all this bread in front of you who needs to order any food?

When I visit the Cracker Barrell for my quick lunch of grilled chicken tenders and veggies I have been asking my server to hold up on the biscuits and cornbread. Not that I am a huge cornbread fan or anything but if the bread is there, the temptation is there and in the past I have caved in.

So is it any wonder that over 50% of our adult population in America is obese and over 25% of our children are over weight? We need to wake up and say "Thank you, but Please don't pass me that bread basket!". I would guess that the average person could easily consume 800-1000 calories in just bread alone before they eat their main course.

I have been making a conscious effort to ask my server to not bring any bread to my table. I figure if it is not there it can't be as big of a temptation to me. And as of today I am down 44 pounds! And I can honestly say it feels better to be 44 pounds lighter than it does to sink my teeth into a hot buttery garlic roll any day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I just finished reading all your entries. You rock! I'm on 1800 a day and 4 - 5 days a week at the gym. It's tough. What you are doing is even tougher.

Your salad dressing tip is one I will definitely be trying. Any hints on how to handle cooking meals for you and your husband that satisfy both of you would be helpful.

Congrats on the success,

Christina