Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Food Was Not Fantastic, But That's A Good Thing!

My weekend away was like so many other retreats that we have all been on before, minus the scrapboooking part. There are always fun times, laughter, catching up with friends and making new ones. But the other common denominator on a retreat of any sort is all the food that you will be exposed to.

Well this retreat was no different. The Facility that we stayed at had three meals per day. The first day we had dinner as a group and they had us go through a self serve line. It was similar to Ryans or Golden Corral exclding the ice cream and dessert bar.

Not really knowing what the main course would be, I piled my plate sky high with a salad (with my dressing on the side of course!) and continued on down the line. I put a scoop of seasoned green beans on my plates and skipped past the scalloped potatoes. There were some unidentifiable items, along with a thinly sliced roast beef in it's own juice and a Sea bass roll. I had never even tried Sea bass before much less had it on a roll. But not knowing which was the less of two evils, I took a small serving of each.

After helping myself to an unsweetened iced tea and a glass of ice water, I took a seat next to my mom near a window overlooking a small but beautiful lake. The salad was the easiest place to start and before I knew it I had eaten the whole thing. Next I needed to decide on what to try first, the Sea bass roll or the thinly sliced roast beef.

After a couple of bites of the beef I decided to try the sea bass and I was pleasantly surprised. I then figured out why they called it a sea bass roll. It was a filet of sea bass baked around a roll of mystery ingredients. Similar to stuffed crab but minus the crab. I opted for the baked fish and left the "roll filling" on my plate.

There were a few different desserts but as each person went up to the dessert area and brought back their treasure, I realized that none of it looked appealing to me. Had I gone completely delusional? Since when did desserts and sweets Not appeal to me? Hurry quick take my temperature, I must be sick. But I wasn't sick I was just learning to "listen" to the signals that my body was giving me and that was that I was satisfied and really didn't want or need anything else.

Walking back up the hill to begin our next round of scrap booking I realized that I wasn't tired, fatigued, or winded from our little walk. It felt good to be able to eat healthy and get a little exercise. I am finally getting to a place where it is not the constant struggle to eat right and be good. It is starting to become more of who I am. And that is someone I am enjoying getting to know.

1 comment:

Emily said...

So proud of you! I know how hard it is to be somewhere and you "have" to eat what they're serving...it takes a lot of will power! Congrats!