Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Big Sweet Tooth

I have been thinking about writing about My Big Sweet Tooth for quite a while. You see I am someone who has always given into the sweets around me. When I was younger and heard someone say "Well I have got to feed my sweet tooth!" I always thought this was funny, until I became that person.

At the earliest age I can remember going to my Nana and Grandaddys house and visiting with them on Sunday after church with my family. Both of them were coffee drinkers and I can remember them even allowing me to "taste" the coffee from their cup. I didn't like the taste and told my grandad that it tasted bitter on my tongue and he would say "Well look up in that cabinet and reach up and get some of those Fig Newtons, that will fix your sweet tooth!" I must have been 4 or 5 years old. And I remember from then on every time I would visit he would tell me to get those Fig Newtons down.

Now, I know what you are thinking, Fig Newtons? That does not sound like something a young girl would eat, but it was something that I would eat when I was at their house. My other two sets of grandparents lived in Mobile Alabama and we did not get to see them as often, but sweets were always a big part of what went on during our visits to their house as well. My Granny Brown could make the best pound cake that you have ever put in your mouth, and my Maw Maw could win a contest at the County Fair with her Chocolate pie!

Yes, those are memories that I will never forget, and neither will my belly, hips and thighs! I believe those "sweets" that I ate as a very young girl set something in motion that I have been fighting for 40-plus years.

When I was a young girl I remember my family would eat lunch after church at places like S&S Cafeteria or The Piccadilly. You know the types of places that are now filled with Senior citizens with white hair and walkers. Well come to think of it, they had the same clientele way back then. But my point is, I LOVED these types of places. Not because the mashed potatoes were so great but because they had items that would feed my sweet tooth! There were so many cakes, pies, cobblers and other sweet delights that It would take me the longest time to decide what I would have.

You see my mother knew better. She grew up the chubby girl. She knew how hard it was to live around sweet temptations and not eat them, so at our house she would not bring anything sweet into the house...

(To Be Continued...)

No comments: