Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Get Committed By Just Taking "Baby Steps"

What is a "baby step"? I've heard that expression all my life. And I've often wondered to myself, if your a grown adult why would you want to take a baby step any way? I can only speak for myself, but as an adult, I want to get where I'm going in the smallest amount of time as possible. The term baby steps is a type of slang expression that says "you have to take it one step at a time by putting one foot in front of the other and going for it!

In my journey to a new me I started from Day One taking baby steps. Baby steps in my eating and baby steps in my exercising. The only area that I didn't take a baby step was in my commitment to myself. I made a commitment to myself to put forth my very best effort. I wasn't unrealistic in my thinking. I knew that I would be tempted in all areas of my eating and food choices. I knew that I would have a hard time getting my exercise to be a healthy habit. But I also knew that once I put my mind to it, I was committed.

Commitment is a word that has become lost in the English language. I am committed to many things including my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, my husband, my children, my family, my employer and my church. Commitment is not something to be taken lightly. You can't be committed one day and uncommitted the next day, or you were never really committed ("sold out") to begin with.

My commitment to myself is the newest of all my commitments. In the past I would let commitments to other people over-rule my commitment to myself. But the older I get the more I realize, there is only one me. And there is only one person who can take care of me, and that is ME!!! So it is time that I stop over-committing to everyone and everything. I need to focus on my commitment to take better care of me. And I think I am going to do it one baby step at a time!

No comments: