Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Where Are You In The Family Photo?

The Lindberg Family - Christmas '2007
I don't know about you but I am the worlds worst when it comes to having my picture made. I don't care if I am all dressed up with no place to go, I just don't really like having my picture made. This sounds weird coming from someone who's first job was at a Portrait Studio way back in the early 1980's.


When I decided to start adding pictures to my blog, and wanted to include pictures of myself, I realized just how few pictures there are of me in my collection after collection of photos. And the pictures that I found were of me with other people, as many other people as I could find so that I could "hide" behind them. Not my whole self but my body. Even if it was a picture being made of me and my husband I would find a way to stand."behind him, and do one of those Olan Mills classic poses with my arm or hand on his shoulder and as he is sitting down in a chair I could lean over so that our faces were on the same level. I have picture after picture of this pose.



My hubby & I in the famous pose
 (Hubby block my body pose)


Then we adopted our children after 11 years of marriage and the poses changed. Now I had a 12 year old son, and seven year old very petite daughter that I could have stand in front of me to help " block out" my body from the shot.

My husband and I have been empty-nesters for the past three years.  My son is now all grown up and has a beautiful wife and two precious children.  Now I find that I am using my grandchildren to block my body from the picture.

Think about it.  When taking a family photo of yourself and your spouse and children, or you and your grandkids where do you place yourself in the picture?
Are you "front & center" or "where's Waldo" hiding in the background?  I can look back at my pictures and see that I am trying to hide the elephant in the room (picture), me!


Another thing that I am coming to realize is that if I knew the picture was being taken, when someone sent me a copy of the picture I would visualize that I looked a lot better (thinner) than the picture actually showed.  But it is the pictures that are taken of me that I am unaware of that catch me unaware and when I see the picture later I am appalled at my true self and what I look like.  It's not just the hair and make-up but the me that I can finally see.  I would always try to make excuses as to why the picture did not turn out better than it did.  When in reality it was the best wake up call that I could have ever asked for.
My biggest critic is myself.  I am learning a little more every day to love and accept myself, for myself.  That mental picture of myself as been thinner and healthier is going to one day be a reality as I continue on My Journey To A New Me!  So, where are you in your family photos?  Are you hidden in the background, or are you hidden behind the camera taking all the shots?  Don't miss out on opportunities to create memories that last forever.  Long after you and I are gone, our loved ones, children and grandchildren will have the pictures to remember us by.  Don't put it off, take a picture of yourself today.  Smile & Say Cheese!

No comments: